Join us at The Big Chill Cape Town on the same day as Torpedo SwimRun Cape Town, as we aim to set a world record for the largest cold water immersion at beautiful Clifton 4th beach. It’s a celebration of Torpedo finishers (here are the best spots to watch the race: Spectator Guide), the Springboks, and a toast to life and health.
🌊 Event Details:
- Date: Saturday 18 November 2023 (with a bad weather backup day on Sunday 19th)
- Time: Approximately 12:00 PM
- Location: Clifton 4th Beach
- The Big Chill will be at the end of Torpedo SwimRun – so the timing will be flexible and based on the last finisher. The following times are approximate:
- 11:00 AM – Torpedo SwimRun Prize Giving
- 11:30 AM – Last Torpedo Finisher
- 11:45 AM – Welcome by Robert Stefanutto (Saunders Cold Water Beach Club)
- 11:46 AM – Cold Water Safety and Breathing Techniques by Helen Blaine (Cold Water Social Club)
- 12:00 PM – 3 Minute Cold Water Immersion
🏊♂️ Record Requirements:
- The water temperature must be 15 degrees Celsius or less.
- Wear only swimming costumes (no wetsuits).
- Submerge yourself in the water above your shoulders for a minimum of 3 minutes.
⚠️ Important Notes:
- Safety First: Your safety is our top priority. Only enter the water if you feel comfortable, and if you ever feel unsafe, unwell, or not in control, please exit the water immediately.
- Look Out for Others: In the spirit of cold water immersion and ocean safety, it is your responsibility to watch over those around you.
- Weather Conditions: If the ocean conditions are deemed unsafe (e.g., large waves, rips), the event will be postponed.
- Support Teams: Torpedo water and medical teams will be present at the beach to assist.
✍️ To Participate: If you’re ready to take the plunge and be part of this record-setting attempt, add your name to the participant list.
Let’s make history together and embrace the thrill of The Big Chill Cape Town.
See you there!